It’s my Mum’s birthday tomorrow and I have just finished her present, Its a Jasmine blouse from Colette, it is so easy to make.
It is a pull over the head style so there are no zips or buttons and the pattern has really clear, simple instructions.
This one is made from a lovely mushroom colour georgette fabric which is very fine, quite slippery to work with but the finish is lovely, really drapey
I might make myself one next in this lovely navy blue, spotty crepe fabricwhich also hangs really nicely and has a retro look about it.
Both fabrics and the pattern are available to buy from TrixieLixie
As it is Good Friday today my lovely Hubby has been busy baking Hot Cross Buns, don’t they look delicious!
Just checking in with the Elisalex Dress sewalong, I have made my bodice, I am doing the long sleeve version. I haven’t done the lining yet or hemmed the sleeves, I will do that tonight. I will probably hem the sleeves right at the end as I have short arms so I will need to try the dress on before I decide how much to take off the sleeves, I want them to be 3/4 length, at the moment they are very long!
I am liking this fabric much more now that its coming together! I have got some brown cotton lawn to use for the lining and I might have a go at doing the pockets that were just featured on the By Hand blog
Here’s a quick Easter make, inspired by a recent post by pillowsalamode about making bunting, I decided to use some of the Easter Ribbon available at TrixieLixie and 2 fat quarters of fabric from the Moda Coquette range to make some Easter bunting.
I have done a bunting tutorial before, it was one of my Christmas Monday makes so I used the same template to cut out my flag shapes
I cut out enough triangles to make 12 flags for my bunting (12 of each)
With right sides together sew up both sides of each flag then trim any excess and turn the right way aound, I used a knitting needle to push the point of the flag out.
I then turned the top of the flag in by 0.5cm to neaten the tops and attached them to the back of the Easter ribbon.
Bunting is such a quick and easy project and it makes a great gift.
I have started my Elisalex dress, I am using this lovely chocolate and cream flowery linen which is £10 a metre at TrixieLixie
Here is a picture next to the pattern so you can see how big the leaves and flowers are on this fabric
I have traced the pattern and cut out my fabric, I am itching to start sewing but I will be patient and wait for the By Hand sewalong as I don’t want to make any mistakes.
I used my favourite Fiskar pinking shears to cut out my fabric, it means less work neatening my seams!
Well here in the UK it is Mothers day today, thank you to my gorgeous daughter for breakfast in bed and a lovely new silky night dress! Now I can reveal what I actually made for my Wonderful Mum for her Mothers day present! A fabric photograph album which has pictures of all her lovely grand-children. I got the idea from the Moda Bake Shop a fantastic quilting web site, full of great tutorials and idea’s.
To make this lovely gift I used a Mama said sew charm pack from Trixie Lixie and a pack of Ink jet Iron on fabric transfers, when you print your images onto the transfers remember to flip them so that they are facing the right way when you iron them onto the fabric, I forgot to do this so all my images are the exact mirror opposite to the actual photographs! which is ok, but not good if your photographs feature text!
I ironed my images onto white cotton fabric then I sandwiched a piece of wadding between the photo and the charm square to puff it up.I stitched the photo’s on and then joined 2 charm squares together, back to back (wrong sides together) to make a page for my album, I was intending to do about 8 pages but I used quite thick wadding so 3 pages was my maximum, as I had loads of photos I made 4 albums, one for my Mum and one each for all my lovely sisters.
I used red thread to contrast with my fabrics.
When I had made all the pages I added eyelets to the top of each and then used some pretty string to tie the pages together.
The wadding made the pages quite stiff so it actually stands up by itself so you can use it as a frame, changing the image in the front when ever you fancy.
I also machine embroidered a card for my Mum
I will post a tutorial on machine embroidered cards later this week, it’s very easy and never fails to impress people.
This is a quick and easy to make tote bag with a gusset so that it will stand up, I have used an oilcloth fabric from Trixie Lixie
I didn’t bother to line this bag as the oilcloth fabric is nice and thick, I cut out 2 rectangles for the front and the back and 2 long strips for the handles;
Next I joined the front to the back, right sides together along each side and the bottom;
To make the gusset turn the bottom corner in and sew across it;
Then trim away the excess, do this on both bottom corners;
To make the straps I just folded them over and seamed them as its much easier if you are using oilcloth fabric than making tubes and turning them the right way around!
The final step is to neaten the top of the bag and attach the straps;
Oilcloth fabric is easy to neaten as it doesn’t fray so you only need to fold it over once.
When I attached the handles I stitched a box and a cross to hold them securely in place.
The gusset on the bottom means that the bag will stand up, great for shopping!
The funky oilcloth fabric is called Field study and is a Freespirit fabric, you can buy it here.