This week I decided to take part in not just one sewalong, but two! I joined in with the Sewaholic Belcarra Blouse sew-along and the Colette Mabel Skirt sew-along.
I have already made a couple of Belcarra blouses and I wanted to make this one a bit different so I used some of the fabulous new lace fabric that we have in stock to make some lacey sleeves on this black cotton lawn version.
The Mabel skirt I made is the longer pencil skirt version and I used light weight cotton jersey knit in glamourous red. Both patterns are really easy to make and it only took me a couple of days to put together this gorgeous outfit!
I have also signed up for the 1 project per week sewing challenge that fellow blogger bernieandi has organised so this outfit is my week 1 for that too, ticks lots of boxes!
I have started my Elisalex dress, I am using this lovely chocolate and cream flowery linen which is £10 a metre at TrixieLixie
Here is a picture next to the pattern so you can see how big the leaves and flowers are on this fabric
I have traced the pattern and cut out my fabric, I am itching to start sewing but I will be patient and wait for the By Hand sewalong as I don’t want to make any mistakes.
I used my favourite Fiskar pinking shears to cut out my fabric, it means less work neatening my seams!
This is a quick and easy to make tote bag with a gusset so that it will stand up, I have used an oilcloth fabric from Trixie Lixie
I didn’t bother to line this bag as the oilcloth fabric is nice and thick, I cut out 2 rectangles for the front and the back and 2 long strips for the handles;
Next I joined the front to the back, right sides together along each side and the bottom;
To make the gusset turn the bottom corner in and sew across it;
Then trim away the excess, do this on both bottom corners;
To make the straps I just folded them over and seamed them as its much easier if you are using oilcloth fabric than making tubes and turning them the right way around!
The final step is to neaten the top of the bag and attach the straps;
Oilcloth fabric is easy to neaten as it doesn’t fray so you only need to fold it over once.
When I attached the handles I stitched a box and a cross to hold them securely in place.
The gusset on the bottom means that the bag will stand up, great for shopping!
The funky oilcloth fabric is called Field study and is a Freespirit fabric, you can buy it here.
I have finally finished my Charlotte skirt that I was doing with the By Hand sewalong I just needed to do the hem! Here it is in its full glory complete with removable peplum
Here it is without the peplum
And here is the back, I made a button hole and used a vintage style button. The herringbone fabric and buttons are available at Trixie Lixie
The lovely blouse was made by my teenage daughter and is the Colette Violet blouse, the lovely Ivory Georgette fabric and pattern for this are also available at Trixie Lixie.
I am now looking forward to joining in with the Elisalex dress sewalong, for more info follow the link
Recently I posted about the new knicker making kits available at Trixie Lixie
Make your own knickers like these
The kit includes a reusable pattern, instructions, fabric, knicker elastic, gusset fabric and a label, everything you need to make a pair of sexy, yet comfy knickers! I also posted a tutorial on my blog a few months ago about how to make them here
The winner of the knicker kit that I promised to give away for Valentines day is Vera Palmer,
If you would like to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your address and choice of kit I will send it out to you.
I am really enjoying the Charlotte skirt sewalong, it has made me slow down and take my time making a garment rather then rushing in to it and making loads of silly mistakes. I think this has probably got to be the best waistband I have ever fitted!
I am still to do the blind stitching but I have a long car journey tomorrow so I shall do it then (I am a passenger not the driver!)
As I said in an earlier post, I don’t want to attach a peplum as I think I will wear this skirt a lot without one, but I would like to occasionally wear it with one so I have made a seperate peplum, all I have done is cut out another waistband and attached it to the peplum!
I will put some hooks & eyes on as fasteners and there we are, with or without peplum!
Whoops, that photo is a bit blurred! I will post a better one when I have finished, next step Hemming!
I have managed to follow part 4 of the Charlotte Skirt sewalong and fitted my lining.
I just need to blind stitch the opening at the centre back of the lining to the zipper.
I am still working on my idea for a detachable peplum and will post some pic’s of how I have done it in the next few days.